|Photo credit: Alex Freundorfer|
300g chickpea flour
2g dried rosemary
3 red onions
5g fresh rosemary
1 garlic clove
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1. Make socca batter: Preheat oven to 250°C (fan). Add the chickpea flour to a bowl and gradually whisk in 400ml water, 1tbsp oil and a pinch of salt and pepper until you have a smooth batter. Allow the batter to rest for 10mins whilst you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
2. Caramelise onions: Peel, halve, and thinly slice the red onions. Heat 1tbsp olive oil in a medium sized frying pan, add the red onions and cook for 5mins stirring occasionally until soft. Add 2tsp sugar and continue cooking for 3mins until sticky.
3. Cook socca: While the onions are cooking. Line your baking tray with parchment or grease with oil. Pour the batter on the baking tray, sprinkle over the dried rosemary and add a little salt and pepper. Place in the oven and bake for 15mins, until set.
4. Make tomato sauce: Meanwhile, peel and finely chop the garlic. Add 1tbsp oil to a small saucepan and fry for 30sec. Add in the chopped tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and add 1tsp of sugar. Simmer for 8mins.
5. Top socca: Spread the tomato sauce over the top of the socca, top with the caramelised onions and crumble over the feta. Wash, then strip the leaves from the rosemary sprig and sprinkle over. Bake in the oven for 10mins, on the top shelf, until the feta starts to brown.
6. Garnish and serve: In the meantime, remove any hard stalks from the rocket and wash. Loosen the edges of the socca with a fish slice, slice on the tray and remove .Top with the rocket and serve.